Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Best Kept Secret

I'm sure anyone who has a dog is privy to the (not-so-new) trend of dog bakeries. These canine confectioners make intricate baked goods which resemble human desserts for animals who purportedly have a remarkably unrefined sense of taste.

Today I was in such a bakery shopping for biscuits for a third-party's pooch. You may have heard of it, it's called PetCo. Although there was a limited selection, consisting only of "chocolate chip" cookies and mock custard creams, they looked wonderfully delicious; like something you'd pick up from Keebler.

My curiosity rose as I pondered the idea of shaping dog biscuits like cookies if they all taste the same anyway. Why would a dog give a shit whether his snack is shaped like a tart or a danish? So I decided to do a little investigation and popped one (first a chocolate chip) into my mouth. And I'll be damned if it wasn't wonderful! Tasted just like a genuine cookie. Not too sweet and perfect texture. I had to have more. I reached for a custard cream next and delighted in its sweet cookie crunch. What is more, at four bucks a pound it's a steal! Not to mention they have digestive enzymes and will probably make my hair look fantastic.

So the next time you're out and about, stop into one of these joints and try a delicious dog biscuit for yourself. And no worries, as we were at the checkout counter I asked a professional, "Is it cool if humans eat these?" She gave a knowing nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment